The biggest Muslim festival, Ramzan is also known as Ramadan in India. This year it will be observed on June 26, Monday (in India). However, it is celebrated on different dates in various other countries of the world. Muslims have been religiously fasting since the past 30 days and are also attending communal prayers to listen the holy sermon. Those who did not give the charity known as zakat al-fitr during Ramadan do so during Eid ul-Fitr. Zakat al-fitr consists of a quantity of food, such as barley, dates, raisins or wheat flour, or its monetary equivalent given to poor people in the community. It is common for Islamic communities to organize communal meals.
Eid in India begins with festivities on the previous night itself, called ‘Chand Raat’ (night of the moon). Excitement is in the air as people shop at bazaars for Eid shopping. Many Muslims in India also wear new clothes, visit family members, exchange Eid cards and give presents of sweets and small toys to children.
Here is the selection of the best Eid al-Fitr dishes that are famous around the world.
6 Delicious Recipes for Eid-ul-Fitr – This Ramadan
1. Seekh Kabab
Seekh kababs are made from spiced minced meat which is molded onto skewers and then grilled or pan-fried. It is an easy recipes that can be prepared ahead of time and frozen to be warmed up when needed.
- 500 gms Lamb Mince (Keema)
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Garlic (Lasun) paste
- 1 tblsp Raw Papaya Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger (Adrak) Paste
- 2 tblsp Cashewnut (Kaju)
- 2 tsp thick Cream (Malai)
- 2 Onions (Pyaj)
- 2 tsp Carom Seeds / Thyme (Ajwain)
- 2 tsp Dried Mango Powder (Amchoor)
- 2 tblsp Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
- 3 tblsp Cumin Seed (Jeera)
- 1 tblsp Dry Ginger (Saunth)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder (Jaiphal)
How to Make:
- Wash the keema and put in a strainer and gently press to squeeze out all the water and then mix all the ingredients to the keema and knead well.Keep aside for 1 hour.
- Heat a gas oven or an electric oven with the skewers.Take a big ball of the keema mixture and hold a hot skewer carefully in the other hand and press the mince on to a hot skewer.
- The keema will immediately stick to the hot skewer.Repeat with left over mince on all the other skewers.
- Place the skewers in the oven.Keep rotating the skewers occasionally.
- When cooked, gently remove the kababs from the skewers with the help of a napkin.Shallow fry the kababs on nonstick pans in 1 tablespoon oil.
- To serve sprinkle some chat masala and lemon juice on the kababs.
2. Sevaiyan ki Kheer
Sevaiyan is a classic Indian dessert that is specially made for special occasion like Eid. Sevaiyan (Vermicelli) are sort of pasta similar to spaghetti but with low thickness. Sevaiyan is a delicious and an easy recipe to make.
- 1/2 cup sevaiya roasted and broken (vermicelli) available Indian grocery stores.
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder (ilachi)
- Pinch nutmeg (jaiphel)
- About 10-12 saffron strings
- 2 tablespoons sliced or crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoons sliced or crushed pistachios for garnishing
How to make
Use a non-stick or heavy bottom frying pan to make a sevaiyan kheer. Add the sevaiyan and roast them for about two minutes on medium low heat.
- Add the milk and increase the heat to medium high. After milk comes to boil reduce the heat to medium. Let the milk boil for about 30 minutes, until the milk is creamy and reduced to almost half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan, and also keep scraping the sides of the frying pan.
- Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom, nutmeg, and almonds. Let the seviyan kheer simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- As sevaiyan kheer cools it will become thicker in texture.
- Garnish with pistachios. Seviyan can be served chilled or warm.
3. Chicken Roll
Chicken Roll is an easy and traditional dish to prepare at home. It provides you an awesome taste on Eid.
- 1 cup BBq Chicken pieces
- Paratha as required
- Mayonnaise as required
- Cole Slaw as required
How to Make:
Chicken Roll with Mayo Dressing:
- To make chicken roll at first spread mayonnaise onto the paratha, then place 3-4 chicken pieces over it and in the end again add mayonnaise.
- Roll the paratha with stuffing and then wrap it in butter paper so that it would not open and stuffing remains inside.
Chicken Roll with Cole Slaw Dressing:
- To make chicken roll with Cole slaw at first spread Cole slaw onto the paratha, then place 3-4 chicken pieces over it and in the end again add bit of Cole slaw.
- Similarly, roll the paratha with stuffing and then wrap it in butter paper so that it would not open and stuffing remains inside.
- Delicious chicken roll is ready to serve.
4. Chocolate Coconut Fudge
Enjoy a rich combination of chocolate and coconut with this simple fudge. No candy thermometer needed, this fudge comes together easily into a creamy and decadent treat. Keep refrigerated to maintain its shape.
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 (12-ounce) packages semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
How to make
- Place coconut milk, sugar and oil in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until chocolate is melted and mixture is evenly blended.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight. Cut into 36 squares. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
5. Chicken Briyani
Chicken Biryani is a popular spiced Indian Rice. It is one of the compulsory dishes for all special occasion. Why not try this chicken biryani recipe at home with this easy & quick homemade recipe.
- 2 cups Basmati- RIce
- 3/4kg Chicken pieces
- Onion 3 large, slIced
- 1 cup Yoghurt
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Green chilli paste
- 1/2 cup Tomato puree
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (roasted)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- A pinch Saffron and 1 tsp Coriander powder
- Green Coriander leaves 2 tbsp, chopped
- Water 3 1/2 cups
- 7 tbsp Oil and Salt as required
How to Make:
- Make a mixture with tomato yoghurt, puree, green chili paste, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Take the chicken and marinade it in the same mixture. Let it rest for 3-4 hours.
- Put oil in a pan, heat it and fry onions till they turn golden brown.
- Now, to this add the marinated chicken and cook the entire mixture for 10 mints.
- After that in a pressure cooker, take the rice and add 3 1/2 cups of water to it. Also, take the saffron, mix with the milk and add to the rice.
- Lastly, add the cardamom powder and the chicken pieces, along with the marinade.
- Mix all the ingredients gently, cover with the cooker lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Enjoy your Eid with these delicious recipes and don’t forget to give your valuable reviews in the comment section below.